Ostracize Josh

A man from Rogers, Minnesota…a small town in the Sixth Congressional District represented by Michele Bachmann…went through the trouble of strapping on his Glock .40 caliber handgun and dropping his Kel Tec 380 in his pocket before visiting the site of President Obama’s talk last Saturday in Minneapolis. His name is Josh Hendrickson and both handguns were loaded.

He went to the speech to stand outside and show off his cammo and his guns. The press took note and had a chat with him. Hendrickson told them, “I’m a pretty laid-back guy that loves his kids and his country.”

Hendrickson was released from jail about a month ago after serving for an assault charge. He had pepper-sprayed a customer at the Cub Foods (a grocery store) in Brooklyn Center. Hendrickson was a security guard at the Cub Foods.

(Until now, I did not know that Cub Foods had security guards.)

The story of Josh’s visit to the President’s talk, carrying two loaded handguns, can be read at the Star Tribune or elsewhere on the Internet.

Actually, Josh told reporters that it really wasn’t any trouble at all to bring his guns. He routinely grabs his car keys, his wallet, and his loaded pistol on the way out the door each day. That is, I would guess, because Josh is a gun nut.

In the meantime, Josh’s congressional representative…that crazy lady who French kissed George Bush and called for an investigation of all Democrats in Congress to check to make sure they agreed with her “American Views”…has been known to tell her constituents to come to the table “Armed and Dangerous.”

Well, apparently they do. I believe it is the case that signs on sticks are against the rules at rallies, protests, or public gatherings such as this one. No sticks allowed. A stick that carries a big sign on which you express your First Amendment rights is not okay. But guns, with which you First-Amendmently express your Second Amendment rights, are okay.

So, the problem as I see it is that our social rules and regulations are often pieced together in somewhat haphazard ways that make no sense. The rule about the sticks is typically a local ordinance, untested in any court. Since sticks are arms and the Second Amendment says “right to bear arms” not “right to bear arms but not sticks” then surely the stick laws would be struck down in a second if challenged. But still, the rules of our society are somewhat haphazard not so much in the logic but in the means by which the rules arise. Collectively what appears to be an illogical mix (sticks no, guns yes) is only illogical because it’s a work in progress (one might even say “half baked”).Given enough time, municipal laws, state or provincial laws, federal or national laws and international laws would all make more sense as a whole because, after all, we one species and we share one planet. How much zany variation (sticks no, guns yes) is required?

But the laws are haphazard, and this confuses the duller individuals such as Josh. The idea that it is okay to visit a speech given by the president of the United States with the gun you normally carry, and in this case with an extra gun thrown in to boot, is absurd. At this moment in our legal and social history, it happens that Josh can get away with it. But that does not make it right. This sort of aggressive and obnoxious behavior is very negative, potentially dangerous, and is only allowed by the quirkiness of our system. The fact that the vast majority of gun-owning Obama-haters kept their guns home while Josh brought his guns is primarily because Josh is confused.

Again, that confusion is understandable. Quite often, people don’t find a sense of direction or guidance from our zany system of rules. Since it is illegal to bring a stick to the rally, but it is legal to pack two loaded handguns, it would be hard for a guy like Josh, who I’m thinking is not the most lucid lure in the tackle box, to know what to do and what not to do and when. Josh needs our help. He needs some social cues. He needs, in fact, to gain a sense of ostracization for his asshatery.

I’d like to let him know what’s going on in other people’s minds when he straps on his Glock and goes to visit the president of the United States.

Josh, most Minnesotans do not think it is appropriate to walk around with a loaded gun unless you are a cop or if you are out hunting. This includes every single gun owner I know in Minnesota whom I’ve asked over the years, and this is a considerable number. Even people I know who collect guns and have large numbers of them or who hunt all the time do not drop the Glock into the pocket on the way out the door. Then again, most of these people…those I know who have guns…did not and would not vote for Michele Bachmann. And they all think Joe Wilson is a jerk. I’m willing to bet, Josh Hendrickson, that you do not think Joe Wilson is a jerk, and that you are a big fan of Bachmann’s. Together, all that makes you a jerk, Josh.

Why am I telling you this, Josh? I’m using my First Amendment rights here. I have strong feelings about a certain issue and I want to make my opinion heard loud and clear. I am exercising my constitutional rights. I certainly hope that you do not have a problem with that.

Josh, I think you are an asshole. I’m in Rogers now and then. When I’m in town, please stay away from me, and under no circumstances are you to approach any member of my family. If we stop at the Antique Mall, or grab a bite at BoBo’s, I expect you to clear the hell out and stay away. For all I know, you are a heavy drinker and a crack head and a psychopath. I don’t trust that the government is any good at keeping guns out of the hands of people who should not have them. Given your known record of violence, I think it is wise to not trust you, Josh. Since I don’t trust you, I don’t want you living in the same society I live in, and if I had my choice, I’d drive you to the edge of the Good Ol’ USA and drop you off at the border. If I knew where you worked, I wouldn’t patronize that place. If I knew what school your kids went to, I would contact that principal and ask them to search you when you showed up at the school for events or to pick up your kids. And if I worked for the Secret Service, I’d be on your ass like ugly on an ape.

I say all these things as though I’m guessing them, but who knows? Maybe someone like me, someone who finds you and your actions to be terribly offensive, is your next door neighbor, or your employer, or the barkeep at the Champps down in Maple Grove. You know those people know who are not saying this stuff to you? They’re just avoiding the issue. Almost everybody you know thinks you are a shithead, Josh. And that’s probably always going to be the case.

And you know what? Most Minnesotans feel roughly like I do. In fact, the legislative sponsor of our Minnesota conceal and carry law did not have nice things to say about you.

I shouldn’t really worry, though. Now that you actually have shown up at a Presidential speech armed with two handguns, and showed off, YOUR ass is on THE list. Forever. For the rest of your life, information about where you live and where you ever have lived, where you work and where you ever have worked, your history of security guard jobs, of pepper spray use, your police record, is all linked into a file and is now the responsibility of some Secret Service agent who really has better things to do than to follow you around on paper until you die. You are wasting taxpayer money, you shithead.

Have a nice life being watched by the Secret Service.

Enjoy the following two videos. In the first, we get a look at Josh himself. In the second, we get a somewhat broader overview of the problem we are seeing today of which Josh is only a tiny, ant-like part.

Visit msnbc.com for Breaking News, World News, and News about the Economy

Visit msnbc.com for Breaking News, World News, and News about the Economy

30 Responses to “Ostracize Josh”

1. September 16th, 2009 at 7:07 am

jess says:

I want to see the videos, but I don’t think they embedded properly.

2. September 16th, 2009 at 7:52 am

Speaking of laws/rules that are half-baked, let’s not forget the stadiums that prohibit bottles and cans. Not only can’t you bring one in from outside (protecting commerce), but you can’t buy your beverage inside unless it comes in a harmless paper cup, lest you might throw it at the umpire/referee or player that displeases you at the moment. Sure, get drunk as you please, but only throw paper cups – much to the delight of your neighbors in the next two rows down from you who get sprayed and splashed. Hey, maybe one of them is packing!

3. September 16th, 2009 at 8:00 am

I believe the videos are now functioning properly

4. September 16th, 2009 at 12:15 pm

Spiv says:

Wait, he has an assault record and publicly carries firearms? Anyone want to tip off his parole officer? Is this not a law in your wacky state? Did the judge grant him some special privilege because he’s a security guard?

I know in my state even filling out a purchase form is an express lane back to jail. Rules are simple: you cannot own a firearm if you have a felony record, or any misdemeanor relating to violence/assault.

5. September 16th, 2009 at 12:30 pm

Spiv: I assume that this is just messy reporting. (but I’m only guessing) He assaulted someone (sprayed pepper spay in someone’s face). This was in a very racist neighborhood, he probably sprayed some black guy and got a reduced charge of inappropriate discharge of a household product or something.

That is one of the problems wiht our system.

6. September 16th, 2009 at 12:58 pm

george.w says:

Well, OK about the guns, as long as government keeps health care out the hands of illegal aliens.

7. September 17th, 2009 at 8:37 am

sevesteen says:

After viewing the videos, this is even more of a non-event than I anticipated. A guy outside the security perimeter was spotted legally carrying concealed by cops who were likely chosen for being adept at spotting things like that…showed his ID and went about his business.

As for the assault charges, different states handle these things differently–He would not necessarily lose gun rights based on a misdemeanor. I also see a significant difference between being overly zealous as a security guard and someone who gets into bar fights.

8. September 17th, 2009 at 8:50 am

Spiv says:

Sure, but it says he was released from jail a month ago. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a parole that was less than 6 months. It seems like if he actually went to jail then the charge must have been significant enough to warrant a violence tag on his record.

9. September 17th, 2009 at 12:31 pm

sevesteen: I don’t think he was “spotted” … He went to the rally with the intention of making a point. He approached the police and showed them his carry and conceal license, and was then questioned by the cops and the Secret Service, according to him.

10. September 17th, 2009 at 11:01 pm

Sevesteen says:

The version I read was that a policeman spotted the outline of a gun and questioned him. As required, he showed his license when questioned.

11. September 18th, 2009 at 1:18 pm

FC says:

I am an ex-federal law enforcement officer and have a concealed weapon permit. I carry when I feel I need to, but not routinely. We probably have different opinions about guns, but I don’t think any weapons (outside of the LE officials present) ever belong at political gatherings and especially at presidential events.
    The permit already stipulates that we can not carry in federal buildings, schools, and bars. It would be so simple to include political events to that list.
    I would support that in a heartbeat.

12. September 20th, 2009 at 11:19 am

Yeah, FC, but you’re, like, the voice of reason, educated and trained and all that, and probably wouldn’t have qualified for law enforcement officer if you’d already been carrying guns to political events just to flaunt your 2nd amendment rights in everybody’s face, intimidate the hell out of anybody who might disagree with your opinions, and make yourself a bigger person in your own mind. You’ve probably had to be fair to all involved in tricky situations and gather actual evidence and stuff like that, before making judgments about right and wrong, lawful or not. You’ve probably seen enough violence escalate for the stupidest of reasons, and have no underlying need to create more to cover up whatever’s lacking in your own personal life.

Simple solution or not, the Joshes of the world would fight your “taking away their rights” as you’ve just proposed. They’ll never see that they’ve already given away their right to think for themselves in order to follow the voice with the highest entertainment value. They’ll never see that their personal freedoms are claimed by that newest class of people called “corporations”. They’ll continue to believe that the solution to whatever they find wrong with the world is showing up with a gun and an attitude. So good luck, FC, and I hope you contact your congressional representatives on a state and federal basis and push for that little tweak in the law.

DO support that in a heartbeat.

13. September 29th, 2009 at 5:15 pm

Josh Hendrickson says:

Quiche Moron (Greg Laden),

I wont tell you where I work. I wont tell you what school my children go to (FYI, they know I carry, and it’s NOT against the law for me to, while picking them up). Please, by all means, stay away from Rogers! Most people that I’ve met out here don’t like hippy douchebag’s such as yourself. Normally, I wouldn’t resort to name calling, but you put it on the table.

Let’s clerify some things with FACT. I know you Lib softies don’t know what to do when facts hit you in the face other than (as of late) cry “Racist!” But here goes…

1. You have the right to make an ass out of yourself by taking a slanted story printed in the Star Tribune. You even have the right to quote the article and say that is what I said, however, in all cases in this article, if it’s not in quotes, it’s not in fact what I said. I even have the audio to prove it. But alas, it is your 1st Amendment right to make an ass out of yourself.

2. Here’s the other misconception here…I was not, and had no intention of being anywhere near the President. I wasn’t AT the “pep rally,” I was outside and across the street. I didn’t need nor want to hear him speak. He’s already on TV damn near every day.

3. “Josh, most Minnesotans do not think it is appropriate to walk around with a loaded gun unless you are a cop or if you are out hunting.” Oh really? What part of Minnesota do you live in? Uptown I’m going to guess. I’d be really interested in meeting the “gun owners” you so supposedly know. I don’t know a single gun owner (and I know plenty, believe me) that would put up with your verbal vomit.

4. It’s very clear that you don’t know one thing about the carry law in the state of Minnesota. Or apparently any other for that matter. On September 12th, I didn’t break a single law. Not Federal or State. Not one! But hey, what do laws matter right? RIGHT? You want to enforce the ones you like and ignore the ones you don’t. Typical.

I’d take more of my time to correct the vast quantity of errors in your blog, but it’s pointless, you just simply can’t fix stupid. I’m affraid your just stuck there. But as they say, “ignorance is bliss” and you must be one very happy man!

For those that want to know the truth, the full audio of the interview is posted on my website.
    In which I plainly state, I was not there to protest and I was not there to make a statement about the 2nd Amendment. One more thing, I didn’t get fired for the “pepper-spray incident” I quit the company a month later for completely unrelated reasons. That’s in the audio too.

One more thing Greg…I could give a shit what you think of me. ;) Now go smoke a bowl and chill out! That’s what you guys do, right?

14. September 29th, 2009 at 8:24 pm

Josh, Greg’s QM editor (me) is a gun-owning Minnesotan. I more than put up with what he had to say on this issue.

15. September 29th, 2009 at 8:43 pm

Hey, Josh, I didn’t know you had a web site, cool! I will check it out.

No, I don’t live in Uptown. Actually, I live in your old neighborhood. But that is neither here nor there.

Oh, and you really need to take it down a notch. Some day you’re going to cap somebody with that replacement dick you carry around and they’re going to look back at your lunatic rantings and think … hmmm maybe our gun laws were a bit too liberal after all…

16. September 29th, 2009 at 8:44 pm

Stephanie: I believe our staff photographer and IT manager is also a gun owner.

I myself have never owned a gun, but I have killed. Many times. Many many times. But never with a gun.

17. September 29th, 2009 at 9:20 pm

Josh Hendrickson says:

Sweet a whole 2 of you on some softie lib site. I’m truely amazed. *yawn*

You have “killed. Many times. Many many times. But never with a gun.” Hmmm. Really? Interesting. Should I take that as some sort of lame threat? Or do you just bore people to death with your mindless drivle? That I can see.

pssshht. And you’re the one calling me names?! Loony tune.

18. September 30th, 2009 at 1:29 am

Not a veiled threat. Just a mention, in passing, of bow hunting.

Josh: I think you should dump the white on black theme for your site. It is hard to read.

From what I read, it is interesting to see your perspective.

19. September 30th, 2009 at 10:18 am

Ben Zvan says:

Hey Josh,

I just read your statements over at your blog. This one got my attention:

I wasn’t there to protest. I wasn’t there to “make a point about the sanctity of the 2nd Amendment” either. Otherwise I would have open carried which would have been just as legal.

And you’ve already stated that you didn’t want to hear what the president had to say. So why exactly were you there? You just wanted to hang out with a couple of guns and the president’s visit was a handy spot?

20. September 30th, 2009 at 10:58 am

Josh Hendrickson says:

Greg, Yes. I agree. Believe it or not, I was going to work on that today. Honestly, I don’t spend much time updating that site, it has only been as of late. Bow hunting? Sounds fun to me. I’ve been looking at those at Cabela’s, however, I don’t know much about bows.

Ben, if you listen to the audio of the interview, or read what I posted on my site…I was there to “observe and report” for my site with video camera in hand.

I get that you guys don’t agree with my decision on the 12th, and that’s fine. The positive thing is that we all have the freedom to make these choices. So far. I certainly meant no harm to anybody, at all. The last thing I ever want to have to do is use my gun for anything other than target shooting and hunting.

Look, here’s the deal. Whether you label me as a “gun nut” or “violent criminal,” I’m not. “Shithead,” perhaps sometimes! ;) First and foremost I am a father. My kids come first, period. Second to that, politics is more of a “hobby” than anything else. That’s why I was not there to protest, and I wasn’t protesting. I find it valuable to get both sides of the argument.

I had even met up with a guy that I had been with at a different rally, this one we were “on the same side” and the 12th, we were not. Did that change anything? Not at all, we respected eachother views. He’s a good man.

While we disagree on these issues discussed here, there are probably issues we agree on as well. Would I have carried if it were GW? Absolutely. Daily routine. Would I have been heard from again? Probably not. You guys are right there. Do I think it’s right? No.

I am neither a Republican or Democrat. Quite frankly, I’m fed up with both parties. To me it seems we are no longer a government “of the people, by the people and for the people.” We are just simplt becoming the “governed.”

21. September 30th, 2009 at 11:02 am

Josh Hendrickson says:

Sevesteen: “Then again, maybe he did intentionally stir the situation. The ugly shirt he was wearing should be ideal for breaking up the outline of a gun and keeping it concealed.”

Ugly? Perhaps. The rest of your statement is correct however, that’s what ACU style digital camo does well. Again, I was not trying to “show off” my gun. I was sweating my ass off in that shirt, to remain concealed. When I left early in the morning, it was cool enough to be wearing it. It got warm fast, part of the reason I left at 1pm. I wasn’t even there when everybody came out all “fired up” and “ready to go.” I only heard about that in the news.

22. September 30th, 2009 at 11:13 am

I wonder if the Star Tribune’s total failure to note that Josh was “covering” the story (as a citizen journalist, in effect) is part of the age-old conspiracy to keep the goodies that go with being the press from anyone who is not in the in crowd.

The latest part of that discussion is probably here, on Bora’s blog:

23. September 30th, 2009 at 11:38 am

Josh Hendrickson says:

“And, if you actually go and buy a copy of your local newspaper today (it still exists in some places, on tree-derived paper, believe me), you are likely to find exactly zero examples of investigative journalism in it.”

I couldn’t agree more. Even on TV here in the Cities you only have to look to Fox 9 news for sensationalist B.S. “investigative journalism.” Ex: “A man goes to Caribou coffee and gets short changed…Fox 9 investigates…Caribou Corruption!” *barf*

24. September 30th, 2009 at 11:45 am

Ben Zvan says:

Josh: Okay…so you were there to “observe and report.” I actually got that from reading your blog, but it looks to me like the only thing you observed and reported on was that you brought a gun to a presidential speech and the authorities did their job by asking to see your license.

25. September 30th, 2009 at 12:26 pm

Josh Hendrickson says:

Ben, I hear what you are saying, and I know it looks that way. Due to this stupid Strib article I haven’t had a chance to go through and edit the video yet. I didn’t intend for this to be the issue, which as soon as I can get my video posted, there wasn’t a mention of me carrying at all.

Et al, I’ve been reading some of the other posts around here. We may not be as far apart on some issues as you may think. Some, yes, obviously. All? No.

26. September 30th, 2009 at 3:13 pm

Josh Hendrickson says:

Greg, do you still want me “Ostrich-Sized?”

27. October 3rd, 2009 at 12:04 pm

Josh Hendrickson says:

I guess we’re done here. Thanks guys. I really do hope you have a little better of an understanding of me now.

Greg, I’d be happy for a bow recommendation! Couldn’t hurt!

Have a pleasant day all. :)

28. October 4th, 2009 at 3:25 pm

Josh: My bows were all hand made by an Efe Pygmy man in the Ituri forest (the arrows were made by various people). To use those bows, you generally get very close to the animal you are hunting and hope the guy standing next to you with the spear is quick!

29. October 5th, 2009 at 3:50 pm

Josh Hendrickson says:

hehehe! Walk softly and carry a big spear!

I looked for the “Pygmy” section at Cabela’s. I didn’t find it! Hm.. . Target maybe? ;)

30. January 9th, 2011 at 11:56 am

itzac says:

I’d drive you to the edge of the Good Ol’ USA and drop you off at the border.

As a non-american reader of you blog, I’d just like to say that I really wish you wouldn’t.